While waiting entirely too long to view our photos P and I had the chance to interact with a pair of girls that were mostly hateful, ages 3 and 6. They were mean spirited and did not seem like kids I would want to spend my time with. (The mother sat idly by and flipped thru a magazine so I can see how it all happens)
Then we ran into another set of sisters roughly the same age. They were getting their pictures taken with 4th of July hand windmill things that Parker was coveting. He kept trying to steal them out of their bags when the family was not looking. I of course did not allow this but the older sister said they were finished with their pictures and Parker could have hers if he wanted it. I thanked her and told her she was very sweet but Parker will tear it up in about 5 minutes (because that is what boys do) She said ok and walked away, but came back with the windmill about 3 minutes later. She said she had thought about it and was ok with giving it to Parker even if he just tore it up.
Ahhhww... These are the moments parents wait for to see thru all the pushing, shoving, and whining we endure. I was telling this story to a girl at work when someone piped in about an article they had just read. The article was about the fact that we tend to raise our kids to 'be happy'. Do what makes you happy, get what makes you happy. Maybe we should be teaching our kids to 'be kind' and that will in fact - make you happy.
Brad and I plan on talking to Parker every day about what he did that was kind that day. (For those that have been over to our house for play dates I'm sure you will agree our sweet baby may be in need of those talks : )




No comments:
Post a Comment