Wednesday, September 16, 2009

things that have changed now that I'm a mom...

1. I get down right angry when I'm in a public place and my super shy toddler that is still trying to perfect verbal communication works up the courage to say "hi" to a total stranger and the stranger (jerk) ignores him. This usually puts Parker into full blown salutation alert and he adds a full bodied HI! Along with a killer smile and a hearty wave. Seriously... is it too much to just grumble 'hi' and let the kid know he's doing it right? It's not like he's going to continue the conversation by asking you about the weather or your thoughts on health care reform.

2. In the past when I would see a kid completely losing it in a store, I would assume the Mom was doing a bad job and/or being lazy with discipline. Oh how wrong I was... Now that Parker is 20 months old and stubborn as a mule I know that Mom in the store is probably doing the right thing. She probably just told her little princess "NO, she could in fact not have this or that" and is sticking to her guns instead of taking the easy way out. Raising one less spoiled brat. I now hope to be that mom and try to give them the "Hang in there, you're doing the right thing" nod when I pass by them in the store.

3. This last one has always annoyed me but now I put it in a whole new ballgame. I find it very inconsiderate when people throw cigarette butts (and other trash or gum) on the ground. I find it very ironic that people do not want this in their car.... but it is perfectly fine for the walking path my toddler will be on where he will certainly pick it up and try to eat it. On our last walk he spied a piece of old chewing gum on the sidewalk - stopped to rub his pudgy little finger in it and said "ewwww" UGH! Trash cans people... (sigh)

No comments: