Sunday, August 16, 2009

state fair goodness

The Mitchells's asked us to be their tour guides at the state fair this year. They are from Chicago and this concept was very new to our city slicker friends. We gladly obliged as we go every year for the food ourselves and we were looking forward to showing P some state fair animal goodness.

It was a great outing that did not disappoint. The winner was a prego sporting a Lindsey Lohan type Alcohol detector on her ankle. (Sigh) There were also many mullets and home made tattoos. Being from a small town myself I did feel right at home in my flip flops, prego belly, and wife beater. (Thank you Tim for contributing with a trucker hat)

The best part of course was the food... Oh the food. This is a list of what I know was consumed without naming names. (no judging the fair comes along once a year!)
  • Deep Fried Pork Tenderloin
  • Corn Dog
  • I suspect a walking taco was consumed after we left
  • Custard
  • Monster bag of cotton candy goodness
  • Peach cider slushies (I highly recommend! Yummy!)
  • French Fries
  • Deep Fried Candy bar
  • Turkey Leg (hint - this was not for one of the guys)

Of course our babies dined on a brown bag dinner of nutritious fruits and snacks with an occasional bite of something tasty. (Yes, we will eat it ourselves but wouldn't dream of giving it to our children)

Here are the boys enjoying some of the animals! I did not let P out to touch the animals due to the Ecoli. (new mom syndrome - maybe next year)

Yep, it was Sarah who came all the way from Chi town to nosh down a state fair turkey leg! Not sure why I think this is so funny... but I do. She asked me if this was payback for the very unflattering picture of me prego on her blog from a past wedding reception. (YES it is but we are still no where close to being even)

Can't you just smell the cows?

For those of you who know my yearly good luck tradition of poking the world's biggest pig for luck - I was able to do my part and this should be a great year!

No comments: